Fall is the BEST time to plant in our area!
Fall is the BEST time to plant trees, shrubs and perennials. The shorter days and cooler nights make for perfect planting of trees and shrubs. Planting in Fall allows greater root establishment because the ground is still warm and roots will take off. See our planting guide for trees and shrubs.
When planting new plants, soil preparation is the most important step to ensure success. We recommend using organic compost and Bio-tone.
More gardening to-dos:
- It’s a great time to revitalize your plants by fertilizing with Espoma Organic fertilizers. We have Bio-tone, Plant-tone, Holly-tone, and others with added micro-nutrients & beneficial bacteria to bring your soil back to life.
- Deadhead tired perennials.
- Finish pruning before mid-September on evergreens that might need tidying up.
- For those doing fall renovations to lawns, check out the NCSU turf files site for detailed info, including the publication “Carolina Lawns“. We carry Wyatt Quarles Top Choice and Shady Nook.
- Feed the birds. As the weather starts to cool off, be sure to have plenty of seed and suet for your feathered friends.
- Get your fall vegetable garden transplants and seed in. Most of your root and leaf crops can be planted in a fall garden like lettuce, collards, cabbage, kale, broccoli, and more!
- Control deer, rabbits, and voles. Keep these hungry guys from decimating your plants with Imustgarden natural animal repellents. A great local product that works on repelling rabbits, deer, squirrels, and even cats and dogs, plus it’s all organic and smells good!
New Plants Arriving!
- Veggies and seed are in for fall and winter harvest. Fresh organic herbs too!
- Mums are a sure sign of Fall along with container plants. We have lots in now with more arriving weekly.
- Check out our Grasses: Muhly, lots of Pennisetums and Maiden Miscanthus grasses.
- We have lots of new and interesting fall blooming perennials and NATIVES too!
- Fantastic selection of maples, conifers and 3″ fairy/container plants.
Need gardening advice?
Our staff is always happy to help you find gardening solutions.
For more fall planting tips, see our October list of gardening activities.