Proper soil preparation is THE most important step
If you have clay soils, Kickin’ Chicken (organic blend of composted chicken manure and composted cow manure), planting mix, soil enhancer and permatil to improve drainage and aeration.
If you have sandy soils, Daddy Pete’s raised garden mix and Mushroom Compost will enrich the soil with nutrients and keep moisture right where roots need it.
If you have containers or raised beds–Daddy Pete’s Raised Garden Mix is great.
Maximize and Fertilize
- We use organic fertilizers such as Espoma Holly-tone, Plant-tone, Tomato-tone, Palm-tone, Rose-tone, Tree-tone, and Organic Lawn Food all containing Bio-tone! As always, the Espoma “Tone” line is all organic.
- Espoma *Bio-tone Plus* adds beneficial microbes to your soil that actually help plants use nutrients better along with adding organic fertilizer to the root zone. Give your plants the best start you can and get the blue bag!
- Combine Bio-tone with Tomato-tone for your best tomato yield ever! Avoid blossom end rot & calcium deficiency.
- Since many plants have special needs we suggest you consult with our staff for more specific planting instructions. We’d love to help.
Time to get Fresh: Grow Your Food!
It’s Fun and Rewarding! Tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, melons, and more can be started from seed or transplants. Ask about our certified organic compost in bulk. Perfect for vegetable gardens.
We have lots of heirloom and organic seed for your pickings. Over 100 to pick from!
Pest Scouting, Watch for:
- Eastern tent caterpillars are active now. If they are in desirable trees on your property that you can reach with a broom handle or stick, just disturb and remove the webbing of the nest. The caterpillars typically feed during daytime hours, so they are apt to be in the nest in the early morning or late in the day at dusk. You can use B.t. or Fertilome Spinosad (please follow label directions and don’t use any chemicals if it’s windy!).
- Aphids love all the new tender sweet growth coming out now. They are easy to see, small green or light brown insects covering new buds and leaves just munching and sucking away! Keep a bottle of “ready to use” Safer Soap (organic) or other insecticide for easy access to spray those little buggers.
- As the weather warms up more, keep watch for other problems. Weekly scouting can help you identify a problem early when its easier to treat.
How Can We Help?
You can always bring samples (in a sealed bag or container please) of anything you have a concern about by the store for our staff to help you.